There has never been a better time to invest in your professional meeting career!
A CMP certification is a professional investment that pays real dividends -- one that will help you grow your network, increase your earning potential and stay on track to meet your professional meeting career goals, especially in this uncertain economy. No other certification can push your career to that next level as effectively, and MPI-NENY administers a study group with nearly a 100% passing rate on the CMP exam! How can you beat that?
What is a CMP?
The foremost certification of the meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry, the CMP program recognizes individuals who have achieved the industry's highest standard of professionalism. Established in 1985, the CMP credential increases the proficiency of meeting professionals by:
- Identifying a body of knowledge
- Establishing a level of knowledge and performance necessary for certification
- Stimulating the advancement of the art and science of meeting management
- increasing the value of practitioners to their employers
- Recognizing and raising industry standards, practices and ethics
- Maximizing the value received from the products and services provided by Certified Meeting Professionals
Why become a CMP?
Recognition: As the premier industry certification, the CMP distinguishes holders as career professionals who have demonstrated a high level of experience, skill and knowledge.
Competitive Advantage: The designation conveys credibility to a meeting professionals opinions and ideas, both at work and in the greater meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry.
Peer Acceptance: CMPs are immediately recognized by other CMPs as fellow professionals committed to the advancement of the profession.
Salary Enhancement: CMPs can use the certification as a competitive advantage when it comes to negotiating salaries and other business.
Personal Achievement: After passing a rigorous application and examination process, CMPs express a profound sense of personal achievement at finally being regarded as the exceptionally skilled professional they are.
Commitment: Successful completion of the certification process conveys that the certified meeting professional is committed and goal driven in their career.
Since the first exams were administered in 1985, over 14,000 meeting managers have received their certification. Since the Northeastern New York Chapter started its study group in 2005, 34 people (and counting!) have passed the exam and joined those ranks. We are proud to boast a nearly 100% success ratio for individuals that have participated in our chapter’s study groups.
What are the requirements for becoming a CMP?
1) Currently or recently employed in the industry (within the previous twelve (12) months) with a minimum of 36 months qualifying full-time work experience.
Currently or recently employed in the industry (within the previous twelve (12) months) with a minimum of 24 months qualifying full-time work experience AND holds a bachelor’s degree or international equivalent in meeting, event, exhibition, and hospitality/tourism management. All professional experience and other meeting management activities submitted must have occurred in a professional context, not earned during academic study.
Currently a full-time instructor of meeting, event, exhibition or hospitality/tourism management an educational institution or university program with 36 months of full-time experience in academia.
2) Completion of 25 clock hours of industry-related continuing education within the past five years. In order to receive credit for continuing education, courses must relate to one of the domain areas of the CMP International Standards (CMP-IS). The CMP-IS is the body of knowledge for the Certified Meeting Professional program and examination.
Completed a structured, supervised internship in meeting, event, exhibition or hospitality/tourism management with a minimum of 200 hours of work experience with a professional organization through an accredited educational institution or university.3) After applying for and being approved to sit for the exam by the Convention Industry Council, you will be given up to 1 year to register for an exam date and then successfully pass a written examination covering the functions performed in meeting management.
How Do I Apply?
- Download the CMP Application
- Download the CMP Handbook
- Download the CMP International Standards (formerly called CMP Blueprint)
- Look at the Deadlines & Fees
- Preparing for the Exam
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Click here to access your MPI NENY chapter event history to track your CEU's
Next Exam Period: July 12-21, 2012 (application period is closed)
Exam Appointment Scheduling Period: May 28 - July 11, 2012 (for July 2012 exam)
Next CMP Application Period: April 2 - August 7, 2012 (for October 2012 exam)
MPI Northeastern New York offers a scholarship to members interested in pursuing their CMP designation. Click here for more information.
Online Study Guide
MPI International offers an Online Study Guide to assist you in preparing for the exam. Click here for more information.
MPI-NENY CMP Study Group
What is it?
The CMP Study Group is an interactive coaching session. Approaching the exam “cold” may be quite intimidating, as most of us haven’t taken a standardized test since the SATs. The Study Group will lead you through some test taking strategies and review key test subjects that you might not be as familiar with such as adult education, reservations & housing, trade shows, speaker selection, and printed material production.
Study Group Schedule
MPI NENY’s study group series are held twice per year to coordinate with the summer and winter exams administered by the Convention Industry Council. Study groups for the July 2012 exam will be held in the spring in person. Click here for a sample schedule (from a recent study group series).
Study Group Format
For each of the eight International Standards, you will have chapters from each textbook assigned for reading at home. These chapters are from the recommended study books and can be purchased online. The final session is solely for the purpose of review, and is scheduled in the week prior to the exam.
Study Group Attendance
MPI NENY members may participate in as many study group series as needed to prepare for the exam.
Study Group Fee
CMP Study Groups are a benefit of your membership with the Northeastern New York Chapter of MPI. If you are not a member, but there is an active member already in your organization, you may participate in the study groups for a fee of $200 per series.
How Do I Join MPI NENY’s Study Group?
We are currently conducting a survey about participation in the Spring 2012 study session.
Click here to complete the survey and indicate your interest.
Click here to subscribe to future information from MPI NENY
(Current members should update their contact information with MPI International.)
Look Who We’ve Assisted in their CMP Pursuit!
Passed Exam in 2012:
- Kati Kenyon, CMP - PLM World, Inc.
- Christine M. King, CMP - Site Solutions Worldwide
- Allison Manny, CMP - Healthcare Association of New York State
Passed Exam July 2011:
- Trina Avalos, CMP - Farm Family Insurance
Passed Exam January 2011:
- Gina Potfora, CMP - American Council of Engineering Companies of New York
Passed Exam August 2010:
- Billi Loomis , CMP - Northeast Retail Lumber Association
Passed Exam February 2009:
- Addie Waldie, CMP- Albany-Colonie Regional Chamber
Passed Exam August 2008:
- Chris Nagelsmith, CMP – NYS Association of School Business Officials
- Kim Partridge, CMP – Public Employees Federation
- Jennifer Rexius, CMP – Albany Marriott
- Vanessa LaClair, CMP - Independent Power Producers of New York, Inc.
- Terri Murphy, CMP - NYS Credit Union League
- Pamela O'Connor, CMP - Association for Community Living
- Linda Persico, CMP - The Conference Center Niagara Falls
- Phyllis Secor, CMP - formerly with NYS Funeral Directors Association
- Cathleen McConney, CMP - NYS Office of the State Comptroller
- Stephen Schifley, CMP - Albany Marriott
- Rachel Alcaro, CMP - Syracuse CVB
- Robin Blaauboer, CMP - MapInfo / Pitney Bowes
- Arlene Day, CMP - Lake Placid Essex County CVB
- Donna Gerard, CMP - NYS Department of Health
- Michelle Scott, CMP - Gatherings by Design
Passed Exam July 2006:
- Lois DiStefano, CMP - Hudson Valley Resort
- Lisa Kiehn, CMP - Keystone Event Group
- Megan Higgins, CMP - Site Solutions Worldwide
- Jackie Capone, CMP - State Farm
- Roberta Daab, CMP - Fort William Henry Resort & Conference Center
Passed Exam July 2005:
- Christine Cunningham, CMP - Williams Inn
- Tana Fileccia-Flagg, CMP - NYS Office of Children & Family Services
- Carrie Hillenbrandt, CMP - BBL Development Group
- Eric Rottingen, CMP - The Woodstock Inn & Resort
- Mike Snyder, CMP - Empire State Plaza Convention Center
- Cindy Sullivan, CMP - The Saratoga Hilton
- Sam Toscano, CMP - formerly with The Oncenter Complex
- Bevin Tracy, CMP - NYS Nurses Association
- Karen Tucker, CMP - American College of Physicians
- Dory Van Norden, CMP - NYS Association for the Education of Young Children